Sunday, September 28, 2008

Game Night: Second Edition

I hosted another game day/night/event last night. Wife and daughter were out and about, so we had the house to ourselves all day. We started off playing Rock Band 2. Quite a lot of it. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, but I think Rock Band 2 was moved down my wishlist if not dropped from it. It's not that I didn't have fun, but the game did not impress me at all. The only substantial change is the song selection, and while I think it's great that all the DLC and songs from the first game are available here, RB2's setlist sucks. I just looked up the complete song list, and of the 84 songs present, I see exactly 7 that interest me. As long as the DLC keeps coming for the first game, I'll stick with that.

From there we went to Castle Crashers, a game whose virtues I have praised here. A fun little beat 'em up game, my only real beef is that it gets repetitive, and a little bit hard to keep track of where your character is sometimes. Nevertheless, CC = fun. Then it was time for pizza, Mt Dew and board games.

We started off with TransAmerica, which went over very well. It was quick to learn, had some strategy and as an added bonus, is easy to play without making a mess while eating pizza. Since everyone was fairly new to the tawdry world of board games, TransAmerica is a suitable launching point. From there, we played a game of Settlers of Catan. This went pretty well too, even with people taking for-damn-ever trying to trade every turn. It helped that everyone was already familiar with the game.

We finished up with a fairly epic game of Arkham Horror. Considering that everyone else was new to the game, and we drew a real boner for the Ancient One, this game went great. I mean, the game took a hell of a long time largely because of Hastur's "you need 8 clue tokens to seal a gate" ability. Rob played well and rolled well and kicked a lot of ass. Luke played well, rolled and drew badly and ended up in limbo a lot. I was unsure of how to play my character and a little lost. I don't know what Fons was doing. But we closed the last gate and won the game right before Hastur was about to awaken. Right about at 2am.

All in all, a good time was had by all. The fact that several new players endured a very long, difficult and late game of Arkham Horror and enjoyed themselves makes me happy beyond measure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home